Sunday, October 11, 2009

M.I BEATS JAY Z AND KANYE WEST AT 2009 MTV AFRICA MUSIC AWARDS

But, what did you expect at the 2009 MTV Africa Music Awards, MAMA? It was conceived to be Africa’s own Grammy awards to honour African artistes and not an African-American show. So, it was fitting that, despite being nominated with global Hip-Hop heavyweights such as Kanye West and Jay Z, M.I won the best Hip-Hop Act at the 2009 edition of MAMA. Incidentally, one of M.I’s musical dreams is to perform a duet with Kanye West on the same stage. Maybe that is the signal.

However, it does not take away the fact that M.I truly deserved it. With the prevalence of rhythmic jibes against one another, M.I’s entrance into the Nigerian Rap/ Hip-Hop music scene was welcomed as a breath of fresh air. Moreso, he came on stage with even more creative punch lines and intelligent lyrics that kept most listeners thinking deep after his music was done. Mr. Incredible aka M.I certainly chose his stage name well. M.I truly represents what RAP music should be: Rhythms And Poetry. Undiluted. Uncorrupted. Original. Beautiful Poetry in motion.

But, M.I was not done yet. He also took home the Best New Act award. Congratulations M.I! The world is your stage. Keep the music playing.

Oh, by the way, Wyclef Jean was there with Akon! Wyclef also paid tribute to late South African reggae star, Lucky Dube, who was honoured with a post humous award, the (newly introduced) MAMA's Hip-hop Legend Awards.

2009 MTV Africa Music Awards: List of winners

1. Best New Act – M.I.
2. Best Hip-Hop Act – M.I.

3. Best Listener’s Choice Awards – Nameless
4. Best Group – P Square
5. Best Female – Amani
6. Best Performer – Samini
7. Best Male – Nameless
8. Best RnB Act – 2Face
9. Best Alternative – Zebra & Giraffee
10. Best Video – HHP
11. Artist of the Year – D’Banj

No comments:

Post a Comment