Thursday, May 12, 2011

FELA INFLUENCE BEYONCE'S NEW ALBUM


Thanks to the creativity, determination and hardwork of her musical acts, enterpreneurs and many other people involved in the industry, Nigerian music has gained more international prominence over the years. Without a doubt, Afrobeat pioneer and legend, Fela Anikulapo Kuti stands out. And many years after his death, Fela certainly lives on, through his music.

In a recent interview with Billboard, American singer, Beyoncé' Knowles revealed that the initial inspiration for her new album came from the Nigerian music legend. "I recorded more than 60 songs: everything I ever wanted to try, I just did it. I started off being inspired by Fela Kuti. I actually worked with the band from Fela! (the Broadway musical based on his life) for a couple of days ... what I learned most from Fela was artistic freedom: he just felt spirit," said Beyoncé, whose new album would be titled 4. The US R & B singer has already debuted the first single from 4, Run the World (Girls), and is expected to premiere the video soon.
While no official release date has been announced, Beyonce noted that the inspiration for the album title came from her fans using the number as shorthand. "Everywhere I look, I see them calling it 4. I had a whole other name and concept, but I keep seeing that the fans love the name 4. I think it would be a really nice thing to let them name the record," she said, while adding that the number also has a personal significance for her. "We all have special numbers in our lives, and 4 is that for me. It's the day I was born. My mother's birthday, and a lot of my friends' birthdays are on the fourth – 4 April is my wedding date," she said.
By the way, Beyoncé's husband, Jay-Z, was a co-producer of the Fela Kuti musical. And don't be surpried if you hear Mo'hits  'Don Jazzy' signature on one or some of her beats!

No comments:

Post a Comment